Weston’s least favourite store is back in business. California Cannabis has reopened, and has promised to donate a portion of its proceeds to Black Lives Matter–a move frustrating to those who see it as a donation to an anti-police group.
The CBC has a quite funny article with an interview of Grey, um, Greenwell, an employee. He said he didn’t know much about the donations, and said
“I think it’s more of like a front for everybody that thinks we’re bad. You know, it’s like, ‘Oh, potheads go there,’ or ‘If you smoke weed, you’re like evil,'” he said.
“It’s kind of like to show we’re not, you know, like horrible people. We’re not criminals.
The police have already promised to raid the illegal dispensary again–the fifth time it will have been shut down. Frances Nunziata says “The investigation will remain open until the store has been permanently closed.”
California Cannabis, the marijuana dealer at 1608 Weston Road has been a bad neighbour, according to CityTV. The customers are “swarming through the neighbourhood”, “urinating in public”, and “doing drugs in a nearby park”, according to a resident.
The shop has been raided four times, but has always reopened. After the latest raid, the sign was taken down, but it was recently reinstalled, and neighbours are speculating that the shop will reopen yet again.
Two Toronto men were arrested in their homes today and have been charged with the murder of Nnamdi Ogba who was murdered in cold blood two weeks ago. At a press conference held on Thursday, March 29, Superinendent Ron Taverner and detective Jason Shankaran discussed the killing and the community response that led to the arrests.
Taverner and Shankaran theorized that the two suspects were arrested so quickly thanks to a sense of outrage on the part of the community along with a highly motivated police force; the police acting quickly to bring the alleged killers of an entirely blameless man into custody. They stressed that Mr. Ogba was a hard working member of the community randomly targeted while visiting friends in Scarlettwood Court. Detective Shankaran told reporters, “You can always judge a person’s family by the people that they’re surrounded by”. “And I knew I was dealing with a good man here”.
Police shift resources to 23 and 12 Divisions
At the press conference, Superintendent Taverner stated that extra police have been moved into the area to boost their visible presence in ‘troubled communities’ such as Scarlettwood so that residents can regain a sense of security in their neighbourhoods. Taverner declined to say how long the extra officers would be deployed but did say, “The public would be proud to know what the (Homicide) officers have done to bring this case before the courts”.
Congratulations to Toronto Police and also to the people who had the courage to come forward and help bring these alleged killers into custody.
Police are still seeking more information from associates of the two alleged suspects in their search for the driver of the getaway vehicle, a dark SUV.
Contact police at 416-808-7400
Crime Stoppers (anonymously) at 416-222-TIPS (8477)
Text TOR and send message to CRIMES (274637).
UPDATE: On Friday March 30, according to the Toronto Star, police announced that the alleged driver had been arrested and was in custody.
On a bitterly cold evening, Mayor John Tory and Ward 2 Councillor Mike Ford joined a large crowd at a vigil last night for Nnamdi Ogba who, selected at random, was murdered last Friday by two armed men. Mr. Ogba, came to Canada with his parents from Nigeria and became an electrical engineer employed in Brampton. He was visiting friends at Scarlettwood Court when he was shot.
The mayor promised Nnamdi Ogba’s parents that the death of their son would not go in vain.
Mayor Tory was advised that the community would be bringing forward a petition asking for better quality video surveillance.