Metrolinx has released the environmental assessment for the proposed electrification of the UP Express. You can comment on the plans for the next 30 days.
- Despite assurances that the diesel trains are low-emission, “air quality within the UP Express corridor will improve” when they are converted to electrical, even accounting for extra the power generation.
- But the difference might be small. Diesel trains will consume about 140 L of fuel passing through Weston each day.
- It doesn’t look like the electrification will result in any additional expropriations in Weston.
- There are plans for a new station in Mount Dennis.
- Construction will, of course, be irritating, and will last two to three years
- The Humber River bridge is culturally significant for its history, engineering, and importance to the community.
- Electric trains will be no noisier than diesel trains. They might be quieter.