Ahmed Hussen, our MP, met with the President of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, on April 2. Hussen said on Twitter:
“Great mtg w Turkey’s President Erdoğan. Excellent discussion on ways to strengthen Canada-Turkey relationship. I also lauded his amazing work in rebuilding Somalia.
Erdoğan is a corrupt autocrat, who
- prosecutes journalists in secret trials,
- seizes critical newspapers,
- is building himself a billion-dollar palace
- prosecutes people—including children—for the ‘crime’ of “insulting the President”,
- says that “Jewish capital” controls the NY Times,
- claims birth control is “treason” and women are not equal to men
These facts are well established—The Economist had a special issue on Turkey in February, calling it a “sultanate”. Erdoğan’s takeover of Turkey’s biggest newspaper happened in March and drew international condemnation.
I asked Hussen whether he discussed press freedom and human rights with Erdoğan. Hussen did not respond.