Weston’s BIA has a couple of jobs advertised on its site and one is that of Manager of the Farmers Market. Keeping the lid on this (quite rightly) feisty and vocal group of traders will be a tough one so the successful applicant had better start training asap. Here’s the job posting:
Submission Deadline: Friday, Feb 23, 2018
Start Date: Mon, April 30, 2018
Job Type: Contract
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
The Market Manager is responsible for the coordination of the weekly, Saturday morning, market as well as the day to day operations throughout the week. The Market Manager works closely with the Board of Directors of the Weston BIA (the owners of the market) to carry out their responsibilities and is provided support by them as needed. The market is held outdoors and operates from the second Saturday in May to the last Saturday in October from 7.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. and the position is renegotiated at that time.
- Coordinate the weekly Market on Saturdays, including set-up and take down, vendor placement and stall fee collections.
- Manage vendors, including recruitment and retention, mail out of vendor contracts; resolve any disputes or concerns among vendors and/or customers, and ensuring vendor compliance to Market Rules and Regulations and health regulations.
- Attend bi-monthly board meetings to provide market updates and act as the liaison between vendors and the board (presenting written comments and/or complaints to be addressed).
- Manage Market communications, including responding to market inquiries (e.g. e-mail and phone calls) and media requests in a timely manner.
- Market Promotion including signeage, posters, advertisements in the local newspaper and social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).Events
- Coordinate special events, activities and/or programs at the market (e.g. official opening day celebrations, Corn Roast, Harvest/Halloween, kid’s activities, music and other entertainment.
Skills and Qualifications Required:
- Strong leadership, and interpersonal skills and the ability to work with multiple stakeholders in a professional manner.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Experience and knowledge in food service management, food safety and regulatory requirements for food sales at Temporary Food Markets is an asset.
- Experience working with a volunteer board.
- Previous Farmers’ Market Management experience, although not a pre-requisite, would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of the Weston community and key stakeholders preferred.
- Good working knowledge of social media advertising, flyer and content for advertisements in newspapers and other.
Submit your Application and Cover letter to the Board of Management of the Weston BIA at: email@example.com or mail to: 4 John Street Unit 3, Toronto, Ontario, M9N 1J3 by Friday, Feb 23rd at 5.00 p.m.
Only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.