It’s well known that a small number of people finance the election campaigns of most councillors in this city, especially incumbents. In Ward 12, much of this money comes from outside the ward and is no doubt given in expectation of future considerations. Brave are candidates who refuse such money as it’s harder to collect small amounts from a larger number of people.
Strictly speaking, only individuals can donate to a councillor’s election campaign and the cap on such donations is $750. In effect though, wealthy business owners can exert an undue influence as very few people can afford to donate so generously – even with the rebates that the city gives to donors. Toronto keeps track of complete donation lists on this website.
Here is a list of $400+ and/or well known donors to Councillor Nunziata‘s 2014 campaign. Few of these people lived in the ward the time and in fact more than a third of her donors didn’t even live in Toronto. Ward 11 residents are marked in blue.
- Constantine Alexiou, (Ward 11), $600
- Palvinder Aujla, (Mississauga) $750
- Pritpal Aujla, (Mississauga) $750
- Alex Bela, (Richmond Hill) and Jack Matrosov (North York) $2000 – Checker Taxi
- Maurizio Bicci, (Ward 17) $400
- Gloria Bielak, (Forest Hill) $750 – St Helens Meat Packers
- Adam Brown, (Yonge/Sheppard) $500
- Roslyn Brown, (Downtown Toronto) $750
- Fran Caplan, (York Mills / Yonge) $400
- Frank Caruana, (Mississauga) $500
- Paul Caruana, (Junction) $400
- Chau Yan-Thoai, (Etobicoke) $400
- Carlo Corsetti, (Richmond Hill) $400
- Ettore Corsetti, (Newmarket) $400
- Patrick Corsetti (East Guillimbury) $400
- Manuel DaCosta, (King City) $750
- Debra DeMonte (High Park) $400
- Rueben Devlin, (North York) $200 – Former President & CEO Humber River Hospital
- Robert Deluce, (Summerhill) $300 – President of Porter Airlines – Donated $3930 to 10 candidates (Holyday, Colle, Minnan Wong, Kelly Crisanti), 8 of whom won.
- Sean Didierserre, (Forest Hill) $600
- Thomas Erlich, (St Clair East / Mount Pleasant Road) $600
- Bob Foley, (Ward 11) $400
- Karla Ford, (Etobicoke) $750 – Doug Ford’s Wife
- Masum Hossein (Mississauga) $200 – Weston BIA Chair
- Gabriella Galli, (Ward 11) $400
- Mitchell Goldhar, (North York) $350 – SmartCentres Real Estate Income Trust. Donated a total of $3300 to 9 candidates, all of whom won.
- Khalid Irshad, (Milton) $400
- Cameron Johnstone, (Georgetown) $600
- John Johnstone, (Ancaster) $400
- Jose Lourenco, (Davenport / Dufferin) $750
- Terry Mantzukis, (Ward 11) Realtor $400
- Alex Matrosov (Richmond Hill) Wheelchair Taxi business $750
- Bela Matrosov (Richmond Hill) $750
- Pina Morelli, (Woodbridge) $750
- Holly Murdoch (Mississauga) $400
- Tim Neeb (Mississauga) $400
- Aleksander Nikolovski, (Eglinton / Spadina) $400
- Frances Nunziata, $20
- Frances Nunziata, $1613.42 – Signs and office supplies from previous campaign
- Cormac O’Muiri, (Mississauga) $500
- David Paiva, (Dufferin / Dupont) Luso Canadian Masonry Ltd. $750
- Matthew Pantalone, (Etobicoke) $750 – Developer
- Pat Pelosi, (Woodbridge) $750
- George Politis, (Bolton) $400
- Frank Raso, (Etobicoke) $400
- John Ruddy, (Gloucester, ON) $750 Ottawa developer
- Dero Sabatini, (Etobicoke) $400 Mississauga – TD Bank VP
- Marvin Sadowski, (North York) $500 – Former Developer?
- Stacey Scher, (Aurora) $600 – All Canadian Self Storage
- Bruno Schickedanz, (Kettleby, ON) $750 – Developer and Woodbine horse owner
- Conrad Schickedanz, (North York) $250 – Developer
- Tony Scianitti, (Maple) $750 – Developer
- George Seretis, (Thornhill) $400 – Easy Plastic Containers Vaughan
- Darryl Simsovic, (Oakville) $400 CEO – Trillium College (Private career college)
- Marcel Stirpe, (Woodbridge) $200 Toronto Chrysler
- Paul Sutherland, (Grafton ON), $200, Former Toronto Councillor, now lobbyist. Involved in TPA Emery Village land purchase.
- Tim Tallon, (Etobicoke) $400
- Alan Tonks, (North York) $200 – Former YSW MP
- Chris Tonks, (North York) $300 – TDSB Trustee
- Alan Tregebov, (Deer Park) $200 – Architect
- Steven Upton, (East Toronto) $600 – Tridel
- Lou Vavaroustos, (Woodbridge) $750 – Old Mill Cadillac
- Susan Vavaroutsos, (Woodbridge) $750
- John Ward, (Etobicoke) $500 – Ward Funeral Home
- Jack Winberg, (North York) – $200 – Weston Hub Developer
- Hua Yang, (Downtown Toronto) – $500
- Don Yuill, (Ward 11) $500
Oddly, none of Ms Nunziata’s 135 donors donated less than $200.
Chiara Padovani is running against Councillor Nunziata (and if Doug Ford has his way, Ward 12 Councillor Frank DiGiorgio). She has stated that she will not accept donations from any business interests including developers.
I’m not accepting donations from developers or corporate interests and I invite my opponent to do the same. The only people that I want to be accountable to are the every day residents of #Ward11. #ItsTimeForChange
— Chiara Padovani (@chipadovani) July 31, 2018
One can ask if this is a strategic mistake that will hamstring Ms Padovani’s campaign or will voters choose to reward a candidate who does things differently?