There was no reported street crime last week. Huzzah!
Laura Albanese spoke to InsideToronto about her election victory:
“The majority was a surprise,” admitted Albanese, but added she was ready to continue the work for the local riding, which she’s represented since the 2007 general election
P&M’s, my favourite restaurant, won a nod from the GridTO as one of the best greasy spoons in Toronto. Good on them. A few weeks ago, BlogTO suggested Mount Dennis as a cool place to visit this summer. Perhaps the hood is getting some love from the young alt-media?
— William Norman (@WilliamNorman) June 24, 2014
Generous readers have donated $190 to our hire-a-student fund, which, though short of what I had hoped for, is enough to start this ball-a-rolling!
I put up posters around Weston CI and CR Marchant last night (right before it rained, of course).
If you, or someone you know, is a middle- or high-school student, a decent writer, and interested in journalism, please send her or him my way. I (we!) will pay $30 for each post of about 300 words on news or goings-on in Weston.
And if you, or a business you know, would like to contribute, please let me know. If you’re a business, for $30 I’ll give you a nice ad below the post you sponsored. Think of the good will! People will love it and flock like robins after rain. Like this:
This was brought to you by the good people at the Weston Public Library. We’re way cooler than you think. Send your kids to our Eureka reading club where they can win great prizes.
If you’re an individual, I’ll write (if you want) something very nice about you or yours.
Neighbour’s Night Out is cancelled. It will be rescheduled for a nicer day.
- The construction at Swanek Park is underway after a long, wet spring.
- Swimming at the Lion’s park will be free again this year.
- The Pelmo Rec Centre is offering Zumba and yoga classes starting next week. It’s not too late to sign up.
- Toronto Hydro will be doing much work on Weston Road over the next six months. Since no local would ever drive on Weston Road now with all the construction already underway, there will be no additional inconvenience.
- Mount Dennis defeats Weston at the only well being index that matters to your humble correspondent: community caffeination concentration. Mount Dennis now has an independent coffee shop, Super Coffee, giving them a c³ index of 1. Weston’s remains at 0.
¹ 99% sure this is the ever-excellent Jennifer Cicchelli’s work. Nunziata said a few years ago that she doesn’t know what a computer mouse is and that her staff print out all her emails.
It’s going to be a big week in Weston.
On Canada Day, there will be a party in Weston Lions Park with fireworks and the usual whooping up. The old lady can still throw a good party, even at 147.
This Tuesday will be Neighbours’ Night Out. If you’ve never been, you must. It’s great.
Frances Nunziata will be hosting a community meeting about community policing and the new Neighbourhood Improvement Area designation for Weston and Mount Dennis. The meeting will be Wednesday at 7 at
the York West Active Living Centre. LUSO (2295 St. Clair Avenue West). She will be hosting another meeting next Monday at the Mount Dennis Legion, at 1050 Weston Rd.
Metrolinx will be having a community information meeting on Thursday at 7 pm at the York West Active Living Centre. S