The wheels are in motion to start the improvements in Swanek Park. Here are some highlights from the meeting this week:
- Correcting the drainage has been identified as the number one priority. We can expect this to begin as early as Fall, 2011.
- An asphalt walking path will be built along the perimeter of the park
- Improvements will be made to the baseball diamond, including new benches and bleachers
- The existing play structure will be changed (with the exception of the rope climber which is relatively new). New swings, a play structure and a trellis structure to provide shade are also in the works.
- A community notice board will be installed at the Queenslea entrance where residents can get/post information about what is going on in the community.
Most community members seemed pleased with the proposed plans. Now we have to get funding. It is estimated that this improvement will cost approximately $500, 000.00 (much of that is due to the severe drainage problem). It is expected that the improvements will take place in phases (each phase when funding is available).
Many thanks to Councillor Nunziata and City of Toronto Staff for putting these plans together. And a huge thank you to the Pelmo Swanek Community Association (PSCA), especially Brad Swanek and Ross Parry for the hard work and time they have put into this project (my apologies if I have omitted anybody).
On a different note, there was some talk of the possibility of having a Neighbour’s Night Out BBQ at the park this summer. If you are interested, leave a comment here or send an email to Adam here on WestonWeb (he will pass it along to me, Nicole) and I will make sure to inform the PSCA.