On December 11, Metrolinx will announce the fares for the UP Express.
If they say the fares are more than $10, you lose. Your tax money went to build the train, your community was torn up to build it, and you won’t be able to use it to commute—taking the kids to see the Santa Claus parade downtown would cost $80.
If, on the other hand, Metrolinx does the smart thing (for once) and makes the fares affordable, you’ll get great express public transit to downtown. Your property values will go up¹, Weston will be reinvigorated, it’ll be great. This isn’t impossible or insane: Vancouver has a $7 light-rail train to the airport that they built for the Olympics. It’s fantastic. I took it.
So what can you do?
- Join in. TTCRiders, an influential group, has started a petition. Have you signed it?
- Send some emails: [email protected]
- Make some calls: 416-241-2300
- Tweet at them: @UPExpress, @Metrolinx, @GTS_Project
- Submit your comments online.
And, if you’re really devoted, rally: TTCRiders will be having a rally on Thursday, December 11, 9.30am–12.00pm outside the Metrolinx meeting at 97 Front St West.
¹If you even think of moving, I’ll find you.